October 17, 2009

Squidilicious

Welcome to my first post! I'm currently sitting in Hanoi, Vietnam writing up about food in Thailand - apologies for the delay but internet is a lot cheaper here (albeit a lot slower as well)…

Thailand, as I'm sure you're all aware, is an incredible place for food, but you have to be willing to step off the Koh San Road to find some really cheap and tasty treats. Luckily for us, our first great foodie experience was only one road away from Bangkok’s most famous strip, but unfortunately for those who hope to visit, I couldn’t even begin to tell you its name. As you can see from my first bit of food photography (I promise to only include people whose eyes are open from now on), the very modest street restaurant was simply, but aptly, named, ‘VERY NICE THAI FOOD.’



A few plastic chairs and tables are all that’s needed to enjoy some of the best seafood I’ve had the pleasure of tasting, and tasting all the greater for the price tag. Comparatively Thailand is a hell of a lot cheaper than the UK, but tourist prices are still in abundance. VERY NICE THAI FOOD, however, is not overpriced - only excellent value for money. We didn’t even have to wait particularly long for food for a table of five, even after finding out there was only one lady cooking the food for at least 20 tables.



I shared the wok-fried red snapper fried in garlic with accompanying vegetables, along with chicken fried rice and fried squid with garlic and green beans. Although presentation may not quite be to classic restaurant standards, it was the taste that really won me over. The crispy skin of the snapper (all edible) led way to incredibly tender white meat, and was no way overpowered by the visible amounts of garlic. The combination of the crunchy outer layer and moist fish was incredible, and I’m still licking my lips at the thought of round two on my return to the capital (and please just trust me when I say the photo does it no justice)! And if that isn't enough to convince you check out the King prawns that my friend ordered:



The chicken fried rice – a classic Thai dish – was a great accompaniment, and not too oily; and wherever I have visited in Thailand, the squid is always cooked well, not overcooked and rubbery (which I personally have found out does not take long if you aren’t careful!). Green beans were a great add-on to the dish, and if cooking at home I would recommend the contrast of the crunchy veg to the squid. Ideally cut the squid into rings and stir-fry with dried garlic and fresh green beans and a splash of light soy sauce for no more than 3-5 minutes.


Check out my Salt and Pepper Squid if this has got you in the mood...























No comments:

Post a Comment